Have you ever wondered how we will feed ourselves in the future?
The world is now facing a potential crisis in terms of food security. Currently there are about a billion people who are hungry and even more who don’t get enough nutrients for a healthy diet.
The reality is that more people die each year from hunger and malnutrition than from AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria combined, and the World Bank estimates that cereal production needs to increase by 50% and meat production by 85% between 2000 and 2030 to meet demand.
A wide range of factors has made food security one of the most important global issues.
- There is an increasing population that wants a more varied diet.
- People are trying to grow more food on less land.
- Many people have limited access to water.
- There is an increased costs for fertilizers and transport.
The challenge is to provide the world’s growing population with a sustainable, secure supply of safe, nutritious, and affordable high-quality food using less land, with lower inputs, and in the context of global climate change, other environmental changes and declining resources.
Put simply, the world needs to grow more food now.
¿Do you want to be part of the change?
The MA in Food Security and Food Justice has been established to train those interested in finding solutions to these problems with the topical, analytical and practical skills needed in order to be agents of change. The students will develop the intellectual and practical skills needed to continue studying and/or to start working with food security and food justice organizations across the world.
The University of Sheffield offers a special opportunity for all those interested in learning more about this Masters programme through a free interactive online session, where they will be discussing:
- The relationship between food security and food justice
- The structure of the program and the modules, including further information about the field course
- Pathways to employment
- Costs and potential funding sources and how to apply
- Details of the university and the department and our involvement in food security and food justice
Register in the form below to obtain all the details from this Online Open Day:
[wufoo username=”web2present” formhash=”x12pmi011v1ltd7″ autoresize=”true” height=”516″ header=”show” ssl=”true”]