Student recruitment is an ever-evolving field, and 2023 is no exception. As technology continues to advance and the job market shifts, the ways in which universities and colleges attract and retain students are also changing. Here are a few key trends to watch for in the coming year:
- Increased use of virtual recruitment tools: With the ongoing pandemic, many universities have had to shift their recruitment efforts online. This trend is likely to continue in 2023, as both students and universities have become more comfortable with virtual recruitment tools such as virtual tours (possibly in the Metaverse), online open days, and online information sessions.
- Focus on skills and career readiness: As the job market becomes increasingly competitive, students are looking for ways to stand out and gain a competitive edge. In response, universities are focusing on providing students with the skills and experiences they need to succeed in their chosen careers. This may include offering more experiential learning opportunities, such as internships and co-op programs, as well as creating specialized programs and majors that align with in-demand industries.
- Greater emphasis on diversity and inclusion: With a growing focus on social justice and the need for greater representation in higher education, universities are placing a greater emphasis on diversity and inclusion in their recruitment efforts. This may include targeted outreach to underrepresented groups, as well as efforts to create a more inclusive campus culture.
- Increasing importance of online and hybrid programs: With the rise of online and hybrid programs, universities are increasingly offering flexible options for students to learn. This is likely to grow in 2023 as more universities make their academic programs available online and offer hybrid options to students.
- Artificial intelligence and automation in recruitment: As the use of artificial intelligence and automation in various industries become more prevalent, the recruitment industry will also start to adopt it. This can include chatbot assistance, natural language processing and machine learning to improve the candidate experience and streamline the recruitment process.
Overall, 2023 is shaping up to be an exciting year for student recruitment, with universities and colleges using the above mentioned innovative ways to attract and retain students. It will be an exciting year combining both human, digital as well as AI-assisted tools. As always, the key for universities will be to stay ahead of the curve and keep pace with the ever-changing needs of students and the job market.